Monday, February 16, 2009

Essex, Connecticut

Sunrise in Essex

Before setting foot on Golden Boy II I had never heard of Essex. When I was informed that it was on our itinerary I was intrigued because I had never been to Connecticut. Upon our arrival I was instantly love-struck with the quaintness of the town. The surrounding countryside was covered in a layer of green. Nestled in amongst the scenery were summer cottages dating back hundreds of years. Walking the streets of Essex was like exploring a US history museum.

Swans swimming with a windmill in the distance


As I walked and explored the enchanting little town I stumbled across incredible parks, ponds, churches, and even graveyards. Everything about this place was perfect. Nothing was askew; everything was just in its place. It seemed as though it was out of a story book.

I loved this park

Cemetery

One evening I was able to get away with the captain and the chef to have a drink and experience Essex nightlife. However, there really wasn't much of an Essex nightlife. It was very low key, but the locals were very friendly.

Church

Our time in Essex was short-lived, but I left with fond memories. There is a good chance that I never would have been to Essex if it weren't for my stop there while working on Golden Boy. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to explore Essex and I hope to visit again one day.


2 comments:

Stephanie said...

So beautiful. I have never heard of that place before. You got some great pictures.

Doodle said...

Thank you for posting these pictures! I'm one of the 'locals' displaced by my years in the Air Force and away from home. It's great to see the pictures! Glad you enjoyed your time there!